Thursday 28 May 2009

Surprising Finds Closer to Home...

So after venturing to neighbourhoods/districts further afield earlier this week, I decided to take things easy today. Did a bit more packing, and took a stroll through South Clerk and Clerk Street.

This is the road I've been taking for months now to school, and I've seen it so often that I'm almost sick of it. Yet despite always being in a rush to get to my lectures (late-riser that I am), I've frequently been surprised by the appearance of 'new' shops along this seemingly all-too-familiar route - it's enough for me to slow down and take a closer look.

Of course these stores aren't new. They've been there all along, but are generally overlooked as I walk briskly past them, head down. However every now and then, some of them suddenly come to light thanks to a casual glimpse or head-turn at just the right moment.

My walk today also surfaced more outlets which have managed to remain hidden for a whole 5 months...

1. Engine Shed Cafe, St Leonard's Lane

Okay fine, so this isn't on Clerk Street but it is situated along St Leonard's road which is just parallel to the former! This is also an alternative route I take to school - favoured, because there are less traffic lights and vehicles, and the road is downward sloping (hehe). At the same time, I've always thought it was a bit of a quiet street with not all that much going on for it.

Took a sidestreet today, and found myself on St Leonard's lane. Walked a little further and found The Engine Shed Cafe.


The second floor houses a cheerful little cafe, which used to be linked to a now demolished railway station (hence the industrial-sounding name). It's a large and airy space with high ceilings, and plenty of windows which flood the place with natural sunlight. The Engine shed cafe offers fuss-free self service dining, canteen style - the menu is written on a blackboard next to the serving counter and includes a host of organic and vegetarian dishes including Moroccan vegetable stew with cous-cous, and home-made hommus dips with oatcakes.

One interesting feature about the
Engine Shed Cafe is its commitment to hiring staff with learning difficulties. The cafe aims to train and empower these individuals by giving them work experience, and equipping them with practical and transferable skills. I think it's a good concept, and I would encourage you to come with an open mind, plenty of patience and a big smile for the staff!

I had a large bowl of carrot and coconut soup with a fresh roll - an unusual combination but tasted quite good. To top it off, I ordered a chocolate cake which was really nice! They have quite a selection of sweet treats on the counter including raspberry flapjacks and carrot cakes, some of which are vegan-friendly.

In general, you can come here for nice, healthy and simple meals at reasonable prices (paid 3.50pounds for the entire thing). There's also a bakery on the first floor, which produces a selection of breads, some of which are suitable for yeast or wheat free diets. And finally, the Engine Shed also sells a range of tofus and oatcakes! Mm, vegetarian food has never sounded so good.

2. The Himalaya: Charity Shop and Cafe
South Clerk Street

So this ranks as one of the more unusual charity shops I've seen thus far. You're immediately hit by the cloying smell of incense the moment you enter. The front of the store stocks a host of exotic-looking products including Buddhist prayer beads, hand-made jewelry from Tibet, fine silk scarves and Indian-style cushion covers.

But this is not just a place to pick up quirky Asian curios. The Himalaya also appears to be quite a socially and politically conscious enterprise. According to a sign in the shop, the proceeds go toward a variety of charitable causes which help children in the Himalayan region. The shop also features photographs of the Dalai Lama, and sells a variety of 'Free Tibet' t-shirts.

There's also a cosy sort of cafe round the back, and a basement space where various activities are held including yoga and massage workshops. An interesting place definitely worth checking out!

3. Anteaques, Clerk Street

So there are a handful of stores in Edinburgh which specialize in unusual product pairings. Elvis Shakespeare along Leith walk is one, selling second-hand music and books. And now I've found Anteaques which is closer to home!

It looks utterly quaint. A shop that combines teas and antique furniture/curios! I'm already intrigued.

Sadly, Anteaques only opens on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays! (more intriguing) So I haven't managed to go in and have a look around yet. Will pop by tomorrow or the day after, time-willing!


By way of personal reflection, my various new 'discoveries' along the one road in Edinburgh I should be most familiar with has been enlightening. It just goes to show that you can live in a place for a fairly long time, and still be surprised by something new everday. If anything, these past few weeks have taught me to really get off my bum and get out there, and start exploring what's around me.

It's this kind of energy and curiousity which I hope I'll bring back to Singapore. Admittedly, most of my time since growing up has been spent in school, at home or in nearby recreational areas with friends like the mall or the cinema. School holidays usually see me going abroad for vacation with the family; hanging out in the same-ish shopping / eating / drinking districts with friends or just chilling at home. So I guess I can't say confidently that I really know Singapore inside-out.

Edinburgh is about 1/3 the size of Singapore, and I've only just begun to scratch beneath the surface
in the past few weeks - and I have to admit, it's only happened because of the amount of free time I have now, and the force with which I'm pushing myself to see things before I leave. And even then, I'm still encountering new things everyday, even in places which I think I've seen enough of.

It really leads me to wonder: at what point does Time stop being an important factor when deciding how well you 'know' a place? Living in Singapore for 21 years, but having a mere fraction of the energy I have now to explore, how much have I left undiscovered in the place I call 'home'?

No comments:

Post a Comment